Many clients at RollX Vans often ask us what they can do with an old wheelchair they no longer need. There are luckily a number of programs that accept used wheelchairs to help those in need—which is important because a new wheelchair can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $25,000. This might not be a manageable cost for some people, especially as they deal with medical bills.
Wondering what to do with your old wheelchair? Just get in contact with a wheelchair recycling program that you feel is a good fit.
Here are some of the programs you should consider:
- The Wheelchair Project
- Friends of Disabled Adults and Children
- Tennessee Technology Access Project
- Wheelchair Recycler, Inc.
- IndependenceFirst Mobility Store
If you are donating a wheelchair to one of these programs or another similar program, consider a few of these tips:
- Make sure the wheelchair is in usable condition.
- Check the organization’s website for specific details regarding the donation. When in doubt, call the organization, which will be happy to assist.
- If you are not near one of the listed organizations, reach out to other local charities, churches, or hospitals, which might be able to help you out.
- Remember to deduct the donation on your taxes.
Your wheelchair donation could make a world of difference to somebody in need!