Many people recognize Memorial Day as the Federal holiday observed the last Monday in May as a time to remember our fallen Veterans and honor those still serving the United States. But, what many people may not realize is that the month of May is observed as National Military Appreciation Month (NMAM) and a symbol of unity in our country.
The History Behind NMAM
In 1999, the Senate and House of Representatives adopted resolutions put forth by Senator John McCain to formally recognize and honor U.S. Veterans and servicemembers by designating the entire month of May as NMAM.
Since then, additional observances have been added to the country’s month-long celebration of military appreciation. Some of these include:
- Loyalty Day: a day set aside for the reaffirmation of loyalty to the U.S. and to reflect on our proud heritage, Loyalty Day happens on the first day of May.
- Public Service Recognition Week (PSRW): celebrated the first week of May, this is time that’s set aside to honor those currently serving our country not only in the Armed Forces but in other federal, state and local governments, as well.
- Victory in Europe Day (V-E Day): A day to remember when the Germans surrendered to the WWII allies: May 8, 1945.
- Military Spouse Appreciation Day: generally set for the Friday before Mother’s Day, this day honors the spouses of military members and recognizes the importance of their sacrifice.
- Armed Forces Day: celebrated on the third Saturday in May, this is a single holiday for citizens to come together and thank all branches of the military for their service.
While the only day that’s Nationally observed as a holiday where many of us have the day off from work is Memorial Day, it’s still important to take time to think about the active, retired and fallen members of our military service.
Doing Your Part
At Rollx Vans, we strive to show our appreciation of Veterans all year long by working hand-in-hand with Veterans offices on behalf of our customers to get them the assistance they need with wheelchair accessible vans. We hope that you will join us this month by showing your appreciation to the Veterans within your community, as well.